Saturday, December 6, 2008

It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

It's certainly beginning to look a lot like Christmas; Christmas trees are finding their way home from tree markets to homes, the shops are bustling with holiday shoppers, festive lights are hung from homes, and the feeling that comes with this special time of the year is surrounding you.
Add a fun and creative tradition to your holiday home by creating this unique Christmas Countdown calendar- You and yours will love counting down the days to the most special day of the year, Christmas. This project is the perfect creation to use up your extra scraps lying around. If you're like me, you never let a single piece of paper go to waste (especially if it's Graphic 45 :). Once you gather up your scraps of paper, grab some glitter, magnets, and other embellishments and your set to go. Let your imagination soar with this...I choose to use a piece of metal for the base of my calendar so the days could be magnetic (making for an easy countdown). Look around your home and you'll be surprised at what you can find for this project; I used a vintage silver tray for the base since it's metal and would allow for the magnetic number pieces to be easily removed. Now comes the fun part...get creative :)-

Some suggestions for number/calendar tokens:
*Bottle Caps *Clear glass marbles (found in the floral section of craft stores) *Chipboard pieces
* Metal embellishments *Vintage images reduced in size to fit on your calendar *Dominoes
*Scrabble pieces * Bingo cards *Bingo chips *Mailbox numbers *travertine/marble tiles
Once you have created your countdown tokens, simply add a magnet to the back, place on your calendar, and begin counting down the days to the most special day of the year, Christmas!

I'm sure you all have seen many variations of this advent calendar- I found my inspiration from of my fav. bella's I gain inspiration from Teresa McFayden.

I Wish you all a Blessed Holiday Season- Merry Christmas my friends.


9 comments:

Maija said...

I adore your take on the advent calendar!!

deb said...

I love these advent calendars. You did a gorgeous job!

And I laughed at your driving in the snow.. you'd NEVER survive a New England winter. :) Hope you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

I love this sooooo much! Definitely the best use of a silver tray so far! Love, love, love your details!!! You know those always get me going!

Stink Bone Jones said...

Came over from the Bella Queen B's blog and this Advent Calendar is scrumptious! You have inspired me to make one. It might be for next year but I'm going to do it!

Anonymous said...

Your calendar is gorgeous! I made one last year based on Teresa McFayden's, but I would have never thought to use a silver tray as the base. Beautiful!

Kara Ward said...

This is just so lovely...I took this class with Teresa a long time ago when she had her store. She rocks my world and you just took it up a knotch. Fabulous job. Kara

Lisa Kaus said...

Beautiful calendar- Happy Holidays!

nikki said...

that is just absolutely stunning!!!!

michaela hoenigman said...

I love your creativity! This is truly a one of a kind advent calender. It caught my eye with all the great detail.